Matcha Portuguese Egg Tarts from Miss Hangry Pants
- Small saucepan
- Rolling pin
- Muffin tin
- 1 whole egg plus 2 yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 1½ tsp Matcha Live Longer green tea powder
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tin and set aside.
- Remove your sheet of puff pastry from the oven and allow to thaw for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine egg, vanilla, sugar, flour and Matcha powder in a small saucepan.
- Slowly pour in your milk, a little at a time, whisking until smooth.
- Place your saucepan over medium heat and whisk until the mixture becomes warm. Take off the heat before the mixture begins to thicken, and set aside.
- Fold your puff pastry in half. The narrow side should be about 12cm wide.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto your bench, lay out the puff pastry with the narrow side facing you and tightly roll it up.
- Cut 12 1cm discs and roll each of them out to 10cm in diameter.
- Place your discs into the muffin tray to create little cups.
- Sieve your Matcha custard mix into a jug to remove any last lumps.
- Carefully pour your custard into the pastry cups.
- Bake tarts in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and then leave to cool enough to handle.
- Serve the tarts warm out of the oven or store in the fridge and serve cold.